Skip to main content

[Opinion] The Era of the Music Superstar is Dead

 


I think in this current modern era of music we can confidently say that the era of the music superstar as we once knew it is dead. Now, before you think I'm being an alarmist I would like to bring forth my rationale for thinking this way that will put everything into perspective.

1.) Lack of Artist Development

Back in the day, when an artist was signed to a label they went through a process known as artist development to aid with nurturing their talent(s) and career before they were presented to the public. Nowadays, artist development is severely lacking and is not invested in as much as it once was and artists are thrown on stage completely unprepared and it shows. 

2.) How Music is Now Consumed 

Physical albums used to reign supreme but now it's all about streaming. Recording artists are not making as much money off of their recorded music anymore. Today, it's about playlisting on streaming platforms. The average length of songs has also gotten shorter to accommodate streaming. When an artist has a hit single it lives in a microwaveable bubble of popularity before the public quickly moves on to the next viral song. A majority of the songs that are considered "hits" these days don't go on to be timeless records. It's now the era of flash-in-the-pan singles instead of albums. 

3.) Loss of Star-Making Vehicles/Platforms

Today's audience is very fractured and many of the star-making vehicles or platforms that artists used to promote their music are gone. Not to mention people's attention spans have significantly shortened.

4.) Social Media

Social media has made artists more accessible than ever before for better or worse and with that comes a loss of mystique and overexposure. In this day and age, it's extremely difficult for an artist to maintain their commercial longevity. 


I firmly believe that these are the key reasons why the era of the music superstar is dead. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[List] My Top 10 Favorite Saved by the Bell Episodes

  Saved by the Bell (1989) Peter Engel Productions//NBC Productions (NBC) I grew up watching reruns of Saved by the Bell, and I decided to list my top 10 favorite episodes from the show. Therefore, there will be no episodes from Good Morning, Miss Bliss. 10. "Drinking and Driving" This particular episode presented an important message in a manner that didn't come across as preachy and it really resonated. The message presented was loud and clear and so were the potential consequences of drinking and driving. 9. "All in the Mall" I enjoyed all of the hijinks that ensued during this episode. Imagine spending the night at the mall to buy some concert tickets.  8. "The Wicked Stepbrother (Part 2)" Eric was a good foil to Zack and gave him the runaround. Also, it was nice that Lisa was able to have her own serious love interest that lasted for more than one episode.  7. "Fourth of July" I enjoyed the overall premise of this episode. For example, t...

[Creative] 3 Ideas for Figure Skating Fictional Novels Starring a Black Female Figure Skater

  It's criminal how there are little to no fictional novels centered around a female figure skater or female figure skaters of African ancestry so I'm here to present three different story ideas for some: 1. Far into the future on the planet Acoren figure skating has taken on a life of its own and is a billion-dollar franchise. At the heart of this tale lies Zyia one of the main stars of her figure skating entertainment company. At a rival company, there's Amon who's a star in his own right. They know that they shouldn't be but due to circumstances, the two find themselves drawn to one another even though a romance between them is strictly forbidden.  2. Go on a journey with Baia and Ixen as they rise up as one of the most electrifying pairs in figure skating.  3. Follow the stories of three different women who are figure skaters as they navigate through life and the competitive world of figure skating. 

[Review] Wild Women and the Blues

  This was a book that I wanted to read for quite some time and I recently just finished it. I must say that it was a fun wild ride. The book jumps back and forth between two time periods the 1920s, or more specifically 1925, and the present-day 2015.  The main heroine taking centerstage during the 1925 portion set during the Jazz Age in Chicago is Honoree Dalcour a chorus girl who works at Ms. Hatties a black-and-tan jazz club. This historical fiction novel was a thrill to read. The cast of characters in the novel are full of personality and distinguishable characteristics. Even the twists and turns presented in the novel were interesting, entertaining, and an overall welcomed surprise. I highly recommend this novel.