Skip to main content

[Analysis] Saved by the Bell: Lisa Turtle

 


Lisa Marie Turtle who was portrayed by actress Lark Voorhies on Saved by the Bell is my favorite character on the show. I enjoyed how she was viewed as a character first and not defined by her skin tone. I know the story of how initially the character was written as a Jewish princess from New York. However, the producers loved Lark's audition so much that Lisa's cultural background changed from what it was originally going to be.  

Family

The character Lisa comes from an upper-class family, she's rich, and both of her parents are accomplished doctors. It's too bad that we only got to see her father once throughout the entire show but what we did get was great. She's also an only child so that means her parents probably spoil her.

Fashion

Lisa is a fashion icon the way she was styled on the show was impeccable and remarkable. She wore so many outfits that I would've loved to have my own pair of in my closet. She also wanted to pursue a career in fashion and that was beautiful to see expressed.   

Childhood Friend

Lisa is such a good childhood friend to Zack and there's such a deep history and connection there. She knows him so well like the back of her hand, she can see through his bullcrap and isn't afraid to call him out on it.

Romance

Lisa is gorgeous, talented, and smart it's a shame she only had mostly fleeting one-off romances throughout the show. I believe Zack and her complement each other so much and would've made a great couple. 

Perfect Foil

Ultimately, I think Lisa served as a perfect foil to other characters on the show: Jessie, Kelly, and Tori.


Lisa Turtle was a refreshing portrayal of a black woman to see on television at the time. She's forever cemented in the bougie character archetype. However, I think the execution was good and wasn't overbearing.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[List] My Top 10 Favorite Saved by the Bell Episodes

  Saved by the Bell (1989) Peter Engel Productions//NBC Productions (NBC) I grew up watching reruns of Saved by the Bell, and I decided to list my top 10 favorite episodes from the show. Therefore, there will be no episodes from Good Morning, Miss Bliss. 10. "Drinking and Driving" This particular episode presented an important message in a manner that didn't come across as preachy and it really resonated. The message presented was loud and clear and so were the potential consequences of drinking and driving. 9. "All in the Mall" I enjoyed all of the hijinks that ensued during this episode. Imagine spending the night at the mall to buy some concert tickets.  8. "The Wicked Stepbrother (Part 2)" Eric was a good foil to Zack and gave him the runaround. Also, it was nice that Lisa was able to have her own serious love interest that lasted for more than one episode.  7. "Fourth of July" I enjoyed the overall premise of this episode. For example, t...

[Creative] 3 Ideas for Figure Skating Fictional Novels Starring a Black Female Figure Skater

  It's criminal how there are little to no fictional novels centered around a female figure skater or female figure skaters of African ancestry so I'm here to present three different story ideas for some: 1. Far into the future on the planet Acoren figure skating has taken on a life of its own and is a billion-dollar franchise. At the heart of this tale lies Zyia one of the main stars of her figure skating entertainment company. At a rival company, there's Amon who's a star in his own right. They know that they shouldn't be but due to circumstances, the two find themselves drawn to one another even though a romance between them is strictly forbidden.  2. Go on a journey with Baia and Ixen as they rise up as one of the most electrifying pairs in figure skating.  3. Follow the stories of three different women who are figure skaters as they navigate through life and the competitive world of figure skating. 

[Review] Wild Women and the Blues

  This was a book that I wanted to read for quite some time and I recently just finished it. I must say that it was a fun wild ride. The book jumps back and forth between two time periods the 1920s, or more specifically 1925, and the present-day 2015.  The main heroine taking centerstage during the 1925 portion set during the Jazz Age in Chicago is Honoree Dalcour a chorus girl who works at Ms. Hatties a black-and-tan jazz club. This historical fiction novel was a thrill to read. The cast of characters in the novel are full of personality and distinguishable characteristics. Even the twists and turns presented in the novel were interesting, entertaining, and an overall welcomed surprise. I highly recommend this novel.