Skip to main content

[Review] Star Trek: Uhura's Song

 


Uhura is my favorite character from the Original Star Trek series and as I was searching for novels and other media where she was the central core focus, I came upon this novel. I thought the premise was interesting a deadly plague called ADF Syndrome is wreaking havoc on the planet of Eeiauo and a song that Uhura learned from one of the planet's inhabitants who's also her friend was the key to mediating the disease.

However, don't let the title fool you this novel is a classic example of a bait and switch. Uhura is not the main focus of this novel she's a supporting character who ultimately ends up taking a backseat to Dr. Evan Wilson. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

The book became a chore for me to read through and I didn't like the characterization of Uhura in this novel compared to the other pocket novel in this series that I've read. The twist towards the end was meh overall to me and it left a bad taste in my mouth. 

I personally would not recommend this novel. I think it had potential but it fell short for me in the direction the author decided to go in. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[List] My Top 10 Favorite Saved by the Bell Episodes

  Saved by the Bell (1989) Peter Engel Productions//NBC Productions (NBC) I grew up watching reruns of Saved by the Bell, and I decided to list my top 10 favorite episodes from the show. Therefore, there will be no episodes from Good Morning, Miss Bliss. 10. "Drinking and Driving" This particular episode presented an important message in a manner that didn't come across as preachy and it really resonated. The message presented was loud and clear and so were the potential consequences of drinking and driving. 9. "All in the Mall" I enjoyed all of the hijinks that ensued during this episode. Imagine spending the night at the mall to buy some concert tickets.  8. "The Wicked Stepbrother (Part 2)" Eric was a good foil to Zack and gave him the runaround. Also, it was nice that Lisa was able to have her own serious love interest that lasted for more than one episode.  7. "Fourth of July" I enjoyed the overall premise of this episode. For example, t...

[Creative] 3 Ideas for Figure Skating Fictional Novels Starring a Black Female Figure Skater

  It's criminal how there are little to no fictional novels centered around a female figure skater or female figure skaters of African ancestry so I'm here to present three different story ideas for some: 1. Far into the future on the planet Acoren figure skating has taken on a life of its own and is a billion-dollar franchise. At the heart of this tale lies Zyia one of the main stars of her figure skating entertainment company. At a rival company, there's Amon who's a star in his own right. They know that they shouldn't be but due to circumstances, the two find themselves drawn to one another even though a romance between them is strictly forbidden.  2. Go on a journey with Baia and Ixen as they rise up as one of the most electrifying pairs in figure skating.  3. Follow the stories of three different women who are figure skaters as they navigate through life and the competitive world of figure skating. 

[Review] Wild Women and the Blues

  This was a book that I wanted to read for quite some time and I recently just finished it. I must say that it was a fun wild ride. The book jumps back and forth between two time periods the 1920s, or more specifically 1925, and the present-day 2015.  The main heroine taking centerstage during the 1925 portion set during the Jazz Age in Chicago is Honoree Dalcour a chorus girl who works at Ms. Hatties a black-and-tan jazz club. This historical fiction novel was a thrill to read. The cast of characters in the novel are full of personality and distinguishable characteristics. Even the twists and turns presented in the novel were interesting, entertaining, and an overall welcomed surprise. I highly recommend this novel.